managing drafts

qu
queylotrie
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:37 am Post

Where the Ping-Pong Scene Never Sleeps

Most major cities have some sort of niche Ping-Pong scene, generally in a clean-cut setting akin to an athletic club. However, Portland, Ore., is a city which takes its leisure seriously. Case in point: Pips & Bounce, a pub in southeast Portland that places at least as much emphasis on nets and paddles since it does on gin and vermouth. "There is a lot of pubs with Ping-Pong," said Mike Jung, one of the owners." Click here looking for information play table tennis.

We wanted a location that has been Ping-Pong with a pub." Since Mr. Jung sees it, Portland has"quite a sort of becoming Pong City, U.S.A. There is a bizarre confluence of history, interest and enthusiasm." Pips are one of many Portland bars featuring table tennis as a central attraction. As for the history, Mr. Jung speaks of the pong scene's matriarch in Portland is Judy Hoarfrost. An elite Ping-Pong player by age 15, Ms. Hoarfrost competed from the 1971 World Championships in Japan.

The Chinese team was there, also, for the very first time in decades. This set the stage for Ping-Pong diplomacy during the Nixon administration, with Ms.Hoarfrost along with her American teammates embarking on an impromptu tour of China -- followed closely with a 1972 trip to the theUnited States from the Chinese team -- that led to a thawing of Sino-American relations. Ms. Hoarfrost and Mr. Jung, who runs Pips along with his brother, Eugene, make a living off the sport at completely different ends of the skill spectrum. In 1973, Ms. Hoarfrost's father started a table tennis club, Paddle Palace, in an ornate downtown Elks Club that featured chandeliers above the tables.
The family had moved to Oregon from Arizona soon before she made her Ping-Pong pilgrimage into theFar East. Paddle Place is now about 10 miles from Portland in the city of Tigard and is a retailer of table-tennis gear. last October, Ms. Hoarfrost opened a large playing and instructional space with 12 tables to the region's better gamers and those trying to achieve such prestige.

She briefly considered serving beer to quench the desire of corporate groups but decided the insurance required to do this was too pricey. Conversely, alcohol is imperative to the Jungs' enterprise at Pips, which can be named for the dimples on vintage paddles. TheJungs' boozy"ponytails" come with ice cubes in the form of Ping-Pong balls, and space is as bright and airy as a gymnasium. Founded in 2014, Pips & Bounce has become the epicenter of a nocturnal scene where bar patrons reach paddles at least as frequently as they can do pool cues. Mr. Jung, whose clientele is mostly beginner-level players and skews more female than male, is not amazed Ping-Pong has such celebrity in the city". Read more about ping pong paddle at: https://enetget.com/bestpingpongrobot

Portland is the city that is really serious about being nonchalant," he said. That spirit pervades at Rontoms, a quirky west side couch with a patio covered by a huge geometric wooden roof. On a recent sunny Saturday, two sponsors -- one male, 1 female -- exchanged lighthearted volleys on a Ping-Pong table in a coated corner. Farther southeast is the Nest, a dimly lighted multilevel haunt where the cast of David Lynch's dark film,"Blue Velvet," may feel at home playing Ping-Pong.
If Dennis Hopper's character were purchasing, the beverage presumably could be Pabst Blue Ribbon, a favorite lager one of lots of the older league players who are habitues of another southeast Portland stronghold, Blitz Ladd. Blitz Ladd is a cavernous, leather-couched pub with approximately as many television sets as chairs. The rear game area includes a dedicated area for Ping-Pong, in which a local enthusiast, Tim Titrud, frequently assembles his league players, who speed somewhere between Pips & Bounce and Paddle Palace concerning aptitude.

"We've got a lot of Blitz individuals who come and play here," said Ms. Hoarfrost, who on a night when Paddle Palace was shut took a brand new hire to Pips to show him that Portland's Ping-Pong scene never sleeps. To the end, when pressed to describe the difference between his bar of largely novice players and Ms. Hoarfrost's athletic center, Mr. Jung succinctly said,"In Paddle Palace, folks alter their shoes". Click https://getpocket.com/@holdpingpongpaddle to read more information on table tennis.
Last edited by queylotrie on Sat Nov 10, 2018 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Tw
Twolane

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:33 am Post

what if I delete a scene in the second draft? I lose all record of that scene, and if I want it back in a later draft, I'm sunk.

What I do is create as many folders as I need outside of my Manuscript folder. One is name Deleted Scenes. Another is named Unused Scenes. I could create a folder for Second Draft Deleted Scenes. Or 10th Draft Deleted Chapters.

NEVER DO I move anything to the Trash folder, where it might be inadvertently deleted and obviously beyond recovery. Is that what you're doing? Why?

What I did long ago and far away in the past, and never do any more, was save a complete version 1, version 2, etc., but that soon became unmanageable. I now do the above with Unused Scenes, &c.

br
brookter
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:39 am Post

There are various ways of doing this.

The simplest is to create a folder outside the Draft / Manuscript and copy (not move) the current version over. You'll then have your complete version for reference while you update your working copy in Draft/Manuscript. Do the same for Draft 2 and so on.

Or save a copy of the entire project in Explorer as Draft 1 and continue with the working version.

Or compile draft one (as a Word document or any other suitable project, then import it back into Scrivener as reference.

I can't remember whether Windows V1 has 'named' snapshots or not, but on the Mac (and in the Windows Beta, I think), you can simply select every document in the binder and 'Take Snapshot with Title', then give the snapshot a specific name ('Complete Draft 1 version') and for every document it will create a snapshot with that title.

Each of these ways as its advantages and disadvantages: no reason why you can't use more than one, or all, of them.

HTH.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sat Oct 20, 2018 10:50 am Post

You can have every draft as a subfolder in your top Drafts folder. That way you always have aöö of it available in every way.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

st
steveshank

Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:03 pm Post

I think the simplest thing to do is simply file / save as: and make a name like "greatnovel-draft 2"
Then work on it. When you feel like it do another: File/save as: with another name: "great novel - draft 3"

Save as lets you save everything with another name. Then continue working on it.

The thing is, besides this being super simple, you can delete old stuff you don't want in draft 5 because it would still be there in draft 4 (possibly in 3 and 2 and 1 as well). So all the old discarded stuff can be discarded from your working draft without being lost.

Bi
Bibi

Fri Nov 09, 2018 6:18 pm Post

Newbie question: Why not... Save each draft as a project with ensuing drafts are 'new' projects. Then, could/n't I view 2 projects simultaneously? W/in each 'project', I could still save changes in the varying folders suggested (deleted scenes, modified scenes, save for later scenes, etc.,)