Book design - refresh? Or stay consistent?

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:09 pm Post

I seem to have mislaid both my Scrivener compile format settings file and my Photoshop template for creating the front covers.

The compile settings aren't a problem, of course, because I upload a compile preferences file to this forum every year so with the magic of Scrivener I can simply download 'em and reinstall. The photoshop file for the covers, though, will need to be recreated.

But both do present an opportunity... What do people think of the book layouts and covers...?

Would you prefer that I recreate the same cover template so your NiaDs all look the same in your ebook library? If we changed the style, would you want the old books re-compiled to match the new edition covers?

And what about the typography / book design itself? Does it work? Anything else you'd like included? If you've always hated Garamond, now is your chance to influence the design in time for NiaD8!
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Mon Nov 19, 2018 1:54 pm Post

pigfender wrote:I seem to have mislaid both my Scrivener compile format settings file and my Photoshop template for creating the front covers.

The compile settings aren't a problem, of course, because I upload a compile preferences file to this forum every year so with the magic of Scrivener I can simply download 'em and reinstall. The photoshop file for the covers, though, will need to be recreated.

But both do present an opportunity... What do people think of the book layouts and covers...?

Would you prefer that I recreate the same cover template so your NiaDs all look the same in your ebook library? If we changed the style, would you want the old books re-compiled to match the new edition covers?

And what about the typography / book design itself? Does it work? Anything else you'd like included? If you've always hated Garamond, now is your chance to influence the design in time for NiaD8!

I’m a traditionalist - what’s the point of tradition if you don’t keep it?
Unless there’s a better option, then change can be good.

In terms of NiaD, I lean towards keeping the same look, but if you’ve got better ideas...

Rationale: you came up with the original, and that was good. So the odds are, if you change it the new version would be good too.
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:41 pm Post

Leave it alone!

I guess that's it.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:11 pm Post

Time to institute a comprehensive backup strategy!
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Wed Nov 21, 2018 1:15 pm Post

gr wrote:Time to institute a comprehensive backup strategy!

You're off topic!

Let's see if he moves you to a new thread or if you have not yet attained the REAL level of *
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09