Compile Help!

ps
pseudonymTBD
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:02 pm Post

I'm trying to compile my manuscript for MOBI (V3, Mac High Sierra). I can get it to work, but not with the formatting I wish (at least not without making the changes to the document and using AS-IS, and even then it isn't right).

My project is divided into chapters. I would like a page break in between each chapter. I want the chapter title in 14pt font and right justified (the style is named 'Chapter Heading'), along with the chapter subtitle right justified below (style name 'Caption'). Beyond that, I'd like paragraph indentation and after-spacing, ideally, with the first paragraph lead-in in each chapter capitalized/bolded.

I suspect that the closely held secret to accomplishing formatting like this lies in editing one of the presets, but this is either not allowed or impossible to figure out (at least for me).

Can this be done?

kewms
Platform: Mac

Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:42 pm Post

Yes, the short answer is that you need to edit one of the Compile formats. Right-click on the one that's closest to what you want, and choose the Duplicate and Edit command. Then, see Chapter 24 in the Scrivener Manual for everything you could possibly want to do. Most of what you need can be done by editing the Section Layouts, see Section 24.2.1 in the manual, or the output Styles (Section 24.5).

HOWEVER, while you can specify such details as justification and spacing, it is essentially impossible to specify a particular font or font size in an ebook. Ebook reader software allows users to choose the font and size they prefer, overriding whatever choices the author has made.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

ps
pseudonymTBD

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:43 pm Post

Thank you for the reply. I won't pepper the forum with a million questions, but I will say that I don't think what I want to do is possible based on the documentation. I have yet to be able to find a way to ensure there is a page break between chapters, amongst other things.
A WYSIWYG editor would make a lot of sense here instead of expecting users to edit CSS

lunk

Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:48 pm Post

I think you are missing one of Katherine’s points. Ebook readers give the reader a wide choice of fonts and font sizes so you can’t decide that in mobi format. In pdf, yes, but not in mobi or epub format.
Page breaks between chapters, well that is possible to force, but most else of what you want to do is not allowed in mobi format.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Silverdragon

Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:32 pm Post

As far as editing your format to force chapter "Page breaks" you'll find them described as "section breaks" in the epub and mobi format editors---no need to resort to CSS! :D Here's a screenshot of where to look for them:

Screenshot_2018-10-12_14_26_18.png
Screenshot_2018-10-12_14_26_18.png (143.01 KiB) Viewed 852 times
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.1, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 12.1

ps
pseudonymTBD

Sat Oct 13, 2018 9:13 pm Post

Silverdragon -- Thank you!

I have managed to figure out how to do most of what I want to do. The last remaining thing may or may not be possible.
Each chapter title in the manuscript uses the HEADER 1 style, and each comes with a subtitle which uses HEADER 2

I set the "delete this text" for the HEADER 1 style, which does the exact thing I want. The SECTION TITLE uses the HEADER 1 text and precedes each with a page break. Perfect.

I want the HEADER 2 to remain formatted as-is (italicized, left justified), and the first word of the body text to be capitalized. I haven't yet figured out how to do this.

Silverdragon

Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:58 am Post

Here's how to make the Header 2 style appear however you'd like it to in your compiled output:

Screenshot_2018-10-13_19_48_11.png
Screenshot_2018-10-13_19_48_11.png (159.74 KiB) Viewed 761 times

Hope this helps!
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.1.1, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 12.1