EPUB 3 compile never completes

da
dayofthedave
Posts: 18
Joined: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:56 am
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:23 am Post

I just updated from Scrivener 2 to Scrivener 3, and I imported all my compile presets.

For my EPUB preset, I am still able to compile EPUB 2, but when I try to compile EPUB 3, the compile never completes.

The progress bar fills up with blue, but then nothing happens. The compile panel never goes away, and the EPUB file is never created. The "Compile" button does remain active, and if I click it again, Scrivener tries again to compile, but again nothing happens once the progress bar fills up with blue.
Attachments
Compile panel.png
Compile panel
Compile panel.png (159.07 KiB) Viewed 109 times

Jo
JoRo
Posts: 410
Joined: Sat May 26, 2018 6:40 am
Platform: Mac

Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:40 am Post

As a test, will the same project compile to the standard Scrivener-supplied ebook format? That will help to identify if the project, the compiler, or the user's project format is causing the problem.

ePub 3 is a very different beast to ePub 2, so your old compile settings might not be able to output an ePub 3 file.

https://www.literatureandlatte.com/foru ... 19#p273819

Slàinte mhòr.

User avatar
auxbuss
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Nov 30, 2015 9:50 pm
Platform: Mac
Contact:

Mon Sep 17, 2018 3:20 pm Post

I've seen this behaviour a couple of times. I seem to recall that it was caused by a <weird character> that I presume I had pasted in from somewhere else.

Anyway, the way I worked on the problem was to remove documents until the project compiled – in a kind of binary chop way – to isolate the problematic document. Then I used other tools to isolate the problematic character.
Image