Ah silly me

ka
kathmcg
Platform: Windows

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:05 pm Post

Renamed the folder where I keep my novel while Scrivener was open, When I went back to Scriv it said it couldn't find the location to save to, and was saving to some backup location, and would now close.

I clicked OK. It closed. Reopened, and the last couple of days work (since I last closed and started Scriv) is gone. I did not note down where it was writing the back up to.

Any ideas where I can restore that backup from?

ka
kathmcg

Sun Aug 12, 2018 4:14 pm Post

I can stop panicking. Found it just in Documents. Restored. Sorted. Still sweating a little though.

Ar
Argoed

Sun Aug 12, 2018 7:49 pm Post

Hello Ka,
To save you sweating on the possibility of losing work, I would suggest you ensure your back ups are in order. As well as saving your work normally or with the auto save. the program will back up your work to a location you desire. Go to Tools / Options / Backup and set up your back ups . That way whatever happens, you will have access to your recent work.

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:20 pm Post

kathmcg wrote: the last couple of days work (since I last closed and started Scriv) is gone.

Check your backup settings. If you only have "backup on close" ticked, then there won’t be any backups if you never close the project. Maybe you should tick "backup on manual save", to increase the chance of having recent backups.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS