Formatting displayed incorrectly in Kindle KF8/Mobi files when side-loaded onto iPhone

aj
ajdegan
Platform: Mac

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:13 pm Post

I have noticed a problem with the formatting in ebook files that I have created in the Kindle KF8/Mobi format when they are loaded into the Kindle iPhone app (version 6.9.1) via email (i.e. not downloaded directly from the Kindle store). Chapter titles are not formatted correctly, images don't seem to be sized properly, and, most significantly for readability, paragraphs are not indented on the first line. Here are some screenshots that show what I mean. This is from the book as published on Amazon, and shows the correct formatting for the beginning of a chapter:
IMG_0751.PNG
IMG_0751.PNG (122.98 KiB) Viewed 140 times

This is the same file side-loaded onto the same phone:
IMG_0749.PNG
IMG_0749.PNG (250.92 KiB) Viewed 140 times

This is how the paragraphs throughout the book appear when the file is side-loaded. When it is published on Amazon, they are indented normally:
IMG_0750.PNG
IMG_0750.PNG (226.5 KiB) Viewed 140 times

I have tested the files on a Kindle Paperwhite, and I don't see the problem there, nor does it appear in the Kindle app on my Mac. I wouldn't be concerned about it, except that I send out advance copies of my books to reviewers, who might well be reading on their phones, and I would hate for them to have to deal with bad formatting. I love the control Scrivener gives me over formatting my ebook files, and I don't want to have to switch to another piece of software.

Thanks for everything you do, and for any help you may be able to offer!

kewms

Sat Aug 11, 2018 6:39 pm Post

If the same file displays differently on different Kindle devices, that's an Amazon issue, not anything that Scrivener can control.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

aj
ajdegan

Sat Aug 11, 2018 8:34 pm Post

I don't see this problem with files that were not created in Scrivener, no matter how they are loaded into the Kindle app, so doesn't that suggest it's a problem with the files compiled by Scrivener?

kewms

Sat Aug 11, 2018 11:15 pm Post

ajdegan wrote:I don't see this problem with files that were not created in Scrivener, no matter how they are loaded into the Kindle app, so doesn't that suggest it's a problem with the files compiled by Scrivener?

Scrivener creates an ePub file. Then it invokes Amazon software to create a mobi file, which is then viewed using more Amazon software. How does the ePub file behave if you view it with tools like Adobe Digital Editions?

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

aj
ajdegan

Sun Aug 12, 2018 1:38 am Post

Thanks for replying, Katherine. The epub looks great in iBooks on the phone, and like a dog's breakfast in Adobe Digital Editions, but in a completely different way that doesn't really shed light on the problem. :roll:

So if I understand what you're saying, the problem is being introduced by the KindleGen software that is external to Scrivener? And maybe it's somehow corrected during the publishing process on KDP, so that the published files look fine?