moving location of binder or inspector

AE
AEW

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:08 pm Post

Hi,
I'd like to work with my binder and inspector side by side. Is there anyway to move them around?

Silverdragon
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Jul 13, 2018 6:38 pm Post

Not to my knowledge.
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.0.3, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.13.5 (High Sierra)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:26 pm Post

If you consider the Outliner to be a surrogate binder, and then add the fact that the binder can be turned off, then yes, in a functional and largely aesthetic sense, you can do this:

Attached is a Layout that will set you up with the above. Note this Layout also removes the header and footer bar from the left editor, for a cleaner more binder-like look. If you’d prefer otherwise, you can switch them back on in the View ▸ Editor Layout ▸  submenu, and then update the layout.
Attachments
binder_plus_inspector.zip
(139.58 KiB) Downloaded 5 times
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Tr
Tribalrose
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Jul 16, 2018 12:23 am Post

I'm so glad I saw this thread. Having the Binder and Inspector side by side doesn't appeal to me. I want my Editor centered on the screen, and no, distraction-free doesn't appeal either. I want to see the info in Binder and Inspector. However, the solution offered the OP made me look at Layouts again and try each of the ones built-in.

When I tried the Three-Pane (Corkboard) layout, I saw possibilities I missed when first looking right after I installed Scriv 3. I'm one of those who doesn't like the changes to the Inspector. What I found was using this layout I can turn off the Binder and keep the Inspector open at Bookmarks, where I have Project Notes.

The Corkboard column at the left does everything I need the Binder to do as I write. Clicking on any given scene brings it up in the Editor. AND it gives me back seeing my Synopsis for a scene and seeing Project Notes at the same time. I have color coding for Labels, and Status shows up as a watermark on the Corkboard cards.

This might not work as well if I had scenes already in chapter folders, but for this novel, I'm trying just a list of scenes as I write. In the past I spent all sorts of time moving scenes from one chapter to another as I drafted, so this time I decided to just write all the scenes and divide them into chapters once it's all done and see if that stops me fiddling so much early on.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:58 pm Post

Glad to hear you’ve found a good way to use these particular tools!

This might not work as well if I had scenes already in chapter folders, but for this novel, I’m trying just a list of scenes as I write. In the past I spent all sorts of time moving scenes from one chapter to another as I drafted, so this time I decided to just write all the scenes and divide them into chapters once it’s all done and see if that stops me fiddling so much early on.

I think for layered structures like you describe, where you have documents inside of documents or folders, the Outliner view can work better than corkboard—unless you really do want to just focus on one area at a time. Corkboard is designed for that kind of process, and thus isn’t as good when you want to say, see fifteen or so things at once that are at different levels in the outline (like scenes in a chapter folder).

The “Three-Panel (Outline)” layout is meant to be a complimentary layout to the corkboard variant for this reason. Both accomplish a very similar goal in terms of how you use the corkboard, but one gives you a deeper view into the draft folder, should you need it.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles