Anything else I could use instead of lists, numberings to sort thoughts?

lunk
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu Jul 12, 2018 9:09 pm Post

Did you export it as .opml from Scapple to begin with? If you do, and then simply use File -> Import -> Files... the notes in Scrivener are imported as new empty documents into the Binder, below the currently selected document, with the Scapple note content as title.

I usually use iThoughts if I want to prepare something to use as outline in Scrivener, because then you can enter comments to each note and the comment is the used as text for each document when you import the opml into Scrivener.
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Silverdragon

Thu Jul 12, 2018 10:22 pm Post

@Major Major
Regarding those options.: They are Import preferences items that tell Scrivener what to do with any notes that may be attached to your OPML outline items. If you select "Synopsis" the notes are placed in each file's synopsis field. If you select "Main Text (with Synopsis) the notes will be copied both to the doc's synopsis and to the main text. Finally, if you select "Notes (with Synopsis)" the notes are added to both the Document notes for that doc, and to the Synopsis.

The "titles only" preference item does NOT refer to an OPML import, but to importing a Scapple file directly. If you leave it unchecked, the first line of each Scapple card will be the imported doc's title, and the line will be repeated in the synopsis along with the rest of the card's text. If you check the item, the first line of the Scapple card will become its document's title, and the second line of the card, through the end, will be come the documents synopsis.
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.0.3, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.13.5 (High Sierra)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4

Bi
Biff
Platform: Windows

Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:39 am Post

Activating "Synopsis" works for me. Just click some item in the Binder. Then just import. And folder(s), docs should be created, I would think.
Windows 10, 64bit

Ma
Major Major

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:22 pm Post

lunk wrote:Did you export it as .opml from Scapple to begin with? If you do, and then simply use File -> Import -> Files... the notes in Scrivener are imported as new empty documents into the Binder, below the currently selected document, with the Scapple note content as title.

That's what I did. Doesn't show up.

Ma
Major Major

Fri Jul 13, 2018 2:24 pm Post

Silverdragon -

Thanks very much for the explanation. I've saved it for future reference. (Still can't get it to work, though.)

lunk

Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:08 pm Post

It could be that the Win version can’t do this...
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

Silverdragon

Fri Jul 13, 2018 3:49 pm Post

I’ll have My Son the Win Scrivener User run a test...
So you know where I'm coming from:
  • I'm a user, not an L&L employee.
  • Mac Scrivener 3.0.3, MacBook Air 11, MacOS 10.13.5 (High Sierra)
  • IOS Scrivener 1.1.5, iPhone 6s, iPad Air 2, iOS 11.4

St
SteveCarterFrogstory

Fri Jul 13, 2018 4:42 pm Post

On Windows, version 1.9.8, the menu you want to import OPML is File>->Import->OPML or Mindmap file...

Ma
Major Major

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:35 pm Post

SteveCarterFrogstory wrote:On Windows, version 1.9.8, the menu you want to import OPML is File>->Import->OPML or Mindmap file...

Yes, I know that. That's what I've been trying.