"Include in Search" Checkbox

Ka
Kalus
Platform: Mac

Tue Jul 03, 2018 5:41 pm Post

Hi Keith,

Apologies if there's already a way to do this; I'd love if there was an "Include in Search" checkbox right under "Include in Compile". (Or, alternatively, a way to limit search to your manuscript folder.)

My project will often contain multiple copies of chapters (so I can preserve editor feedback) and it makes searching for the right document difficult at times.

Thanks,
Lukas

rdale
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Jul 03, 2018 6:19 pm Post

When you're using the project search feature, there should be a tiny magnifying glass icon in the field where you can edit the search terms. Click on that, and one of the options there will be to search only the draft folder (also know as the "manuscript" folder, or whatever it's called in the project template you started your project from...).

There are a lot of handy options there, so it's worth exploring what you can do with them.
FKA: robertdguthrie
AKA: R Dale Guthrie, Robert, Mr. Obscure, and "Oh, it's you again".

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Jul 03, 2018 9:50 pm Post

And with another of the options in that same menu, you can achieve a level of specific control over what is being searched, as opposed to purely categorical, with the “Search Binder Selection Only” setting. A simple demonstration of that would be to use Cmd-click and Shift-click to pick a few files out of the binder, constraining search to just those selected items.

However for a more persistent case (like a checkbox would provide), it’s useful to keep in mind that the Collections feature (§10.2, Using Collections, in the user manual PDF) is, among other things, a way of saving a selection for convenient future use.

• After selecting the individual items you want to restrict your search to, use the Documents ▸ Add to Collection ▸ New Collection menu command.
  • In the future, when you want to search by this restricted list of items:

1. Use the Navigate ▸ Collections ▸  submenu to select your restricted search collection.
    2. In the sidebar, hit ⌘A to select all.
    3. Run your search with the “Search Binder Selection Only” option enabled.
    4. or– click the “hook arrow” button in the collection header bar to load the collection into a corkboard or outliner view, and in that view, hit ⌘F to filter the collected items by a search. (Though note if you intend to use that method, you can more directly get to the point of having the preselected items in your editor via the Navigate ▸ Go To ▸ Collections command, or from the right-click contextual menu in the editor header bar.)

My project will often contain multiple copies of chapters (so I can preserve editor feedback) and it makes searching for the right document difficult at times.

One more tip: try Snapshots for this kind of thing going forward (§15.8, Using Snapshots). One of the advantages of snapshots is that they are not considered proper binder items for the purposes of things like project search. Past revisions/notes of a text are stored exclusively within the sidebar of the chunk of text they pertain to, like metadata would be. Consequently searches only ever return one copy of a section, the most recent revision of that text.

And if you do periodically want to search through old versions you may still do so, with the Documents ▸ Snapshots ▸ Show Snapshots Manager menu command.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ka
Kalus

Thu Jul 12, 2018 8:48 pm Post

Thanks rdale and AmberV, the little magnifying glass is pretty close to what I was looking for!

Is there a way to apply the same setting to the Quick Search bar? It's more useful to me for usually, since I can contextually see where the results are located. (E.g., the surrounding sentence, or whether it's in the synopses).

Also, AmberV, I'm not sure I can use Snapshots as you're saying with this project (though I use them often in other contexts) but maybe there's a way I'm not seeing.

My chapters are folders which contain several scenes. I'll compile the chapter as a word doc, and email it to my editor. They use Word's commenting to make notes, and then I drag that word doc back into a folder in scrivener that contains all of my editor's feedback. Is there a way to add the word doc as a snapshot to one of the chapter folders? That would enable me to do it like you suggest, I think?

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Fri Jul 13, 2018 5:48 pm Post

There aren’t any setting for Quick Search. It’s primary function is to look up single documents by name and quickly navigate to them or do other things with them via drag and drop. One is of course free to use it however they like, but that’s why it works the way it does: it assumes you know the name of the thing or some text that identifies that thing in some way, and intend to go straight to it, rather than dwelling on a list of results, like the sidebar search lets you do.

Is there a way to add the word doc as a snapshot to one of the chapter folders? That would enable me to do it like you suggest, I think?

Sure, folders in Scrivener are just text files with a different icon really. You could do something like this:

1. Click on the folder in the binder, and if necessary turn off the current group view mode by clicking on its icon in the toolbar or using the shortcut. For example, if you see a corkboard, hit ⌘2 to turn it off.
  2. Now you’re looking at a text editor, editing the content for that folder. Paste in your notes from the editor.
  3. At this point you can snapshot it and even delete the text in the editor if you want.

In the future, click on the folder, hit ⌘1 to enter Scrivenings mode (here is where you might see the benefit of clearing the folder text after snapshotting it), and then right-click in the editor header bar to load the desired snapshot into the other editor or its copyholder. You can then edit your original text on one side and reference their notes on the other.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

Ka
Kalus

Mon Jul 23, 2018 9:43 pm Post

Thanks Amber!