Lost Backup FIles

Gi
Gigi
Platform: Mac

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:23 pm Post

mbbntu wrote:
lunk wrote:In the hidden Library folder? How did you set that up?

The folder Library>Application Support is a folder handled by the system itself so you don’t really know what happens there. It sounds as if you have activated Documents on iCloud, which means that your whole projects are not kept on your HD.

It's very easy to make the Library folder visible: it's one of the options if you hit Cmd-J in the User folder.

I thought that backup folder was the default one in Scrivener. It is what is being used on my computer. I doubt I would have changed it.

I assumed so as well. I didn't change it. Any recommendations for where it would be better to put it?

Gi
Gigi

Sat Jun 30, 2018 10:30 pm Post

JimRac wrote:OP, sorry if you've already answered this, but I don't recall it.

Scrivener default setting is to take backups of a project when you close the project.

Have you been closing your project on a daily basis, or leaving it open for days/weeks at a time?

Thank you for asking. You're the first one to do so. So after checking the Backup Preferences, I saw that it was set to backup upon closing. And no, I haven't closed the project in 3 weeks. I foolishly thought that command + S was enough to save any changes. I've come to see that it is not the case (if you know otherwise PLEASE let me know). When Scrivener relaunched after some little automatic overnight update, it didn't back up (I assume because I didn't close it manually) and all was lost. Lesson learned, the hard way.

I am holding fast to the idea that the next draft of those 9 chapters will be even better than the last. What else can I do? Keep on keepin' on.

sc
scshrugged
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:09 am Post

Gigi wrote:
I assumed so as well. I didn't change it. Any recommendations for where it would be better to put it?

Yes, that’s the default. Saving the live project locally and sending a zipped backup to a cloud service is an option.

(Although the following thread is in the Windows sub-forum, it’s still relevant to Macs.) You can learn a great deal about saving and backup strategy from this recent discussion:
viewtopic.php?p=265531#p265531
Scrivener user not affiliated with L&L.

Gi
Gigi

Sun Jul 01, 2018 2:26 am Post

scshrugged wrote:
Gigi wrote:

Yes, that’s the default. Saving the live project locally and sending a zipped backup to a cloud service is an option.

(Although the following thread is in the Windows sub-forum, it’s still relevant to Macs.) You can learn a great deal about saving and backup strategy from this recent discussion:
viewtopic.php?p=265531#p265531

Super information. I've changed my configuration for saving and backing up based on this. And yes, I assumed (falsely as it turns out) that Ctrl + S would save the open project, which I never closed. Thank you for this. I feel much better going forward.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Sun Jul 01, 2018 3:20 am Post

It's possible you might be able to recover some of your lost revisions. Scrivener keeps the text for each document in your project in an .rtf file.

In Windows Scriv, these files are in the following folder path: YourProjectname.scriv > Files > Docs

The Mac has either the same naming convention or something very similar. You might want to try opening each .rtf file in the Docs folder, or at least the most recently modified ones, and see if they contain your missing revisions.

If you do find your revisions in the .rtf files, and they are not in the Scrivener documents, that indicates possible corruption of the project's index.

If that's the case, than I would copy your words out of the .rtf files into a new project and start from there.

Hope that helps and best of luck...
Jim

kewms

Sun Jul 01, 2018 5:48 am Post

JimRac wrote:The Mac has either the same naming convention or something very similar. You might want to try opening each .rtf file in the Docs folder, or at least the most recently modified ones, and see if they contain your missing revisions.

A good suggestion, but please do this with a backup copy of the project so you don't risk making matters worse. And I'd check both the Windows and Mac versions.

Yes, both versions of the project will have the same naming convention and project structure. On the Mac, though, you'll need to use the Show Package Contents command (right-click on the project in Finder) to see it.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

mb
mbbntu
Platform: Mac + iOS

Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:43 am Post

I'm always a little baffled to hear that people keep apps running for long periods. I religiously quit anything I'm not using, and I use Quitter to do it automatically in case I forget:

https://marco.org/apps

Scrivener has a preference to do this itself, which is what I use.

And I typically use settings to back up on open, close, days which have "day" in the name, when the wind is north, south, east or west, and any other scenario I can think of. Time is precious. Disk space is cheap. And I shut down every device I have when I am not using it, partly to save electricity (the planet matters) and partly to flush memory, caches and whatever else. I run Clean My Mac regularly, though you can use Onyx to do much the same. I am an over-anxious individual, but I still think it is worth making an extra effort to keep work safe. Equipment can fail or be stolen at any moment.

A personal recommendation - take a look at Backblaze:

https://www.backblaze.com

It backs up your whole computer at very little cost. It could be a lifesaver (think of fire, burglary, theft).

And I believe T.E. Lawrence left the entire manuscript of Seven Pillars of Wisdom at a railway station and had to recreate it from memory. Commiserations, but the next draft may indeed be better.

Cheers, Martin.
You should judge people not by how close they get to the top, but by how far they have come from the bottom. Some people have a mountain to climb just to get to the place where others start out. (Me, 2010)

KB
Site Admin

Mon Jul 02, 2018 4:11 pm Post

I actually keep Scrivener running for days on end myself. :) That would explain why there are no backup files for the past three weeks, though, if the project hasn't been closed in all of that time. You can set Scrivener up to back up automatically when you hit Cmd-S by ticking "Back up with each manual save" in the "Backup" preferences.

On this, however:

I foolishly thought that command + S was enough to save any changes. I've come to see that it is not the case (if you know otherwise PLEASE let me know).

Super information. I've changed my configuration for saving and backing up based on this. And yes, I assumed (falsely as it turns out) that Ctrl + S would save the open project, which I never closed.

Cmd-S does save all changes (if there are any). If you just pause for a couple of seconds, Scrivener will auto-save anyway, but you can hit Cmd-S at any point to force it to save. This is different from making a backup, though. Cmd-S simply saves the project in place. A backup is a copy of the project made somewhere else.

Now, if you are saying that the project itself hasn't saved for three weeks, then that I would need more information on, because that shouldn't be possible. If Scrivener tries to save and cannot for some reason (because of an error), then it would show an error message to the user. It would be a very serious bug if Scrivener stopped saving data, so I really would want more information to be able to investigate that.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

rh
rhadkins

Mon Aug 06, 2018 9:50 pm Post

Along with this same line of woe, I inadvertently renamed a major character without realizing I had already used the new name elsewhere in the novel. Now I need to recover a backup that has the original before I did the 'search and replace' thing to destroy my characters. sigh. Sadly, I have no idea how to retrieve a backup. It seems to be making one every time I close Scrivener but, I don't know where they are kept. :cry:

Help me, Lit and Latte Forum, you're my only hope. hehe

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:37 pm Post

Have a look at §5.2.4, Restoring from Backups, pg. 66, in the user manual. That should have everything you need to locate your backups, find the right one, and get the copy with your Doppelgänger problem fixed up. :)
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

rh
rhadkins

Mon Aug 06, 2018 10:59 pm Post

AmberV wrote:Have a look at §5.2.4, Restoring from Backups, pg. 66, in the user manual. That should have everything you need to locate your backups, find the right one, and get the copy with your Doppelgänger problem fixed up. :)

YOU are a godsend. Thank you very much. For me, I found the answer (with your help) on page 53 section 6.11.4 Restoring from Backups from the User Manual Scrivener 1.9.8 for Microsoft Windows.

The characters live again. Now differentiated with their proper names.

Thank you AmberV.

And, yes, I do now realize I was in the wrong forum, technically, since I'm on a Windows platform but..... it led me to you. :D

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:00 am Post

Oops! I didn’t notice your forum tag! Well, glad to have pointed you in vaguely the right direction at any rate, and to hear you got your work back safe. :D
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

b1
b1uebird
Platform: Windows

Sat Nov 10, 2018 9:56 pm Post

Hello Forum: another Scrivener user in a panic. I have lost two full manuscripts put away to cool before being revised. One is a much-polished draft that has disappeared from everywhere (emails in which it was sent to editors have vanished, I no longer use the Windows computer with tower on which I wrote it, but transferred the file to my MacBook Pro in 2017. The second is a second draft, put away for a year while I finished a new book. Yesterday I completed that book and went looking for the others, and now I'm in a cold sweat.
Book 1: no Scrivener backup. No Word copy. On Dropbox, the correct filename is attached to the last three pages. No version changes are noted.
Book 2: on my remote backup drive that backs up the entire MacBook (nothing in my backups folder that old) there is a set of files in a folder that says the folder was erased. I moved them to my hard drive, Scrivener won't open them--says they might be read only. I checked and changed the format. Still, Scrivener refused to open them for the same reason. Perhaps they are only images?
Just the thought makes me go cold.
Any ideas?
Thank you
Judy

Ji
JimRac

Sun Nov 11, 2018 4:31 am Post

Hi Judy, sorry to hear you are having trouble finding your projects. I'm a Windows guy, no Mac experience, so I can suggest *what* you need to do, but not *how* to do it.

b1uebird wrote:One is a much-polished draft that has disappeared from everywhere (emails in which it was sent to editors have vanished, I no longer use the Windows computer with tower on which I wrote it, but transferred the file to my MacBook Pro in 2017...Book 1: no Scrivener backup. No Word copy. On Dropbox, the correct filename is attached to the last three pages. No version changes are noted.

Use Finder to search for all ".scrivx" project files on your Mac, hopefully you will find the missing project(s) that way.

b1uebird wrote:The second is a second draft, put away for a year while I finished a new book....Book 2: on my remote backup drive that backs up the entire MacBook (nothing in my backups folder that old) there is a set of files in a folder that says the folder was erased. I moved them to my hard drive, Scrivener won't open them--says they might be read only. I checked and changed the format. Still, Scrivener refused to open them for the same reason. Perhaps they are only images?

Maybe your Finder search will turn up both of your book two projects. If not, these read-only files you found may be zipped backups of your project made by Scrivener from way back when. If so, you'll need to unzip them, and then Scrivener can open them the normal way. Before you start messing with these files, make sure you make copies of them.

HTH,
Jim

xiamenese

Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:36 am Post

Hi Judy,

Just a further small suggestion.

If you haven't done so, in Finder, go to Finder > Preferences > Advanced and make sure "Show all file extensions" is turned on. If it's on you can see any documents labelled .scriv or .zip, so you know what you're looking at.

Hope that helps. :)

Mark
The Scrivenato sometimes known as Mr X.
rMBP 13" (early 2015) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MBP17" (late 2011) 10.13.6, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
2017 iPad, iOS 12.01, 128GB, Apple Pencil
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …