Bug report: Writing history miscount

Dr
Drewonimo
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:25 pm Post

I am on Scrivener on MacOS – the latest Scrivener update (yesterday, in fact) and the latest High Sierra release.

Yesterday, I had a terrific writing day, accomplishing way more than I expected. I don't usually check the word counts daily but I went ahead near the end of my session and saw that I was well above 2,300 words for the day. I used the indicator that shows up in the search field top and center.

Today I decided to try to top yesterday. I checked the the writing history and THERE it said I'd written less than 200 words! The total word count appears to be the same. And there doesn't seem to be any missing writing.

What gives? It appears the live tracking of the word count doesn't match up t the daily statistics after the fact.

FWIW, I have my word count reset at 1 am each morning.

THANKS. Overall, a wonderful program.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:36 pm Post

That's strange. Did you also delete lots of words? Was everything written on your Mac, or did you work on another device too?

Can reproduce the problem so that the Writing History again results in the wrong count?

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

Dr
Drewonimo

Thu Jun 28, 2018 4:44 pm Post

I deleted almost nothing. And everything was written in the same file on the same Mac – no other Macs.

I double-checked by looking at a Time Machine back-up of the file from the time I stopped work yesterday. It had the same overall word count as the current file AND showed that, yes, I had done 2,000+ words. In other words, the only place that shows a difference is in the writing history log.

I'm not sure how I can reproduce this error other than to report it if it happens again.

BTW, is there a way to do a compare file between two different Scrivener files? (as opposed to a snapshot) I could do that with the backup to make triple sure. The last thing I want is to discover weeks down the road that I deleted 2,000 words by mistake. (And yes, I checked the trash folder).

Thanks.

KB
Site Admin

Wed Jul 18, 2018 7:25 pm Post

Sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately there is probably no other way of finding out what happened other than for us to wait for someone to see it again and to gather as much information as we can as and when it happens.

There is no way to compare two Scrivener files other than to take a snapshot of one and then paste the other over the top of it and use the snapshot compare feature.

Thanks and all the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

su
susherevans

Mon Aug 13, 2018 12:46 am Post

Just popping in to say I've had this issue. I wrote 9,000 words on Friday and Scrivener says I wrote 200. I will say that the program crashed (supposedly), which seems to be part of the issue. When it crashes, it retains all the words but the writing history is wiped out.

AmberV
Platform: Mac + Linux

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:04 pm Post

Was this crash experienced after an extended period of inactivity, and potentially over a period of time in which session resets would have been triggered? For example by default if a project has a session goal it will be around midnight when it triggers. We’ve been trying to track down a sporadic exception/crash that happens in the auto-save engine, and it seems to be related to these events.

What is odd is that the writing.history file is updated continuously as you work, as part of the regular auto-save queue, along with the actual text you are writing and so forth. So even say if there is a crash after writing 9,000 words, the record of that should be no more lost than the words you wrote themselves.

Now one aspect of this is that what I’m referring to above initially manifests as an exception, which is different from a crash in that the software can and often will keep running after it happens—and more importantly by default you won’t notice when they happen. There is a setting we can modify that would change that, and I’d recommend doing so. In the General: Warnings preference pane, enable the Show internal error alerts option. Now the moment something goes wrong with auto-save (or whatever), you will get a pop-up window with some diagnostic information. Upon receipt of this warning you will prompted to quit, or tidy up what you’re doing as carefully and quickly as possible and then restart.

My theory here is that you ran into an exception many hours prior, and that broke the recording of your writing history for some reason, so that it wasn’t kept up to date and when the software finally did crash from this malfunctioned condition, the record was lost.
.:.
Ioa Petra'ka
“Whole sight, or all the rest is desolation.” —John Fowles

parf

Mon Aug 13, 2018 1:08 pm Post

This is exactly what happened to me several times, and I reported it several times. Every now and then words disappear from Writing History.
Nadya De Angelis, author

My book: http://amphora.ru/book.php?id=2320
My blog: http://nadyadeangelis.info
My twitter: http://twitter.com/parf

All in Russian!

parf

Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:41 pm Post

It did it again: yesterday I ended the day with 1342 words, wrote it down to my writing goal on beeminder.com, closed Scrivener on iMac as usual, this morning started to write on the iPad, and when I moved back to the desktop, only 128 words from yesterday are left in the Writing History.

Another thing is the irregular synchronization of the sessions between iPad and the desktop, where it is supposed to reset automatically at midnight. Sometimes when I start on the iPad and then move to the desktop, the desktop session includes the words written on the iPad, sometimes it doesn't. Today it was the other way round: the iPad session in the morning showed 0 words, which probably means that it was synchronized with the desktop session, reset at midnight.

But I don't think that there two problems are related, since sometimes words disappear from Writing History even if I don't use iPad at all.

Yet another thing is that sometimes the Writing History shows smaller number of words of the current day than the daily session, which does not make any sense, it can be equal or bigger, but not smaller.
Nadya De Angelis, author

My book: http://amphora.ru/book.php?id=2320
My blog: http://nadyadeangelis.info
My twitter: http://twitter.com/parf

All in Russian!