Could Apfs snapshots support mean faster more reliable sync?

Sh
Shamanth
Platform: Mac

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:22 pm Post

I am not sure to what extent scrivener could make use of this but wouldn’t support for apfs snapshots, at least with macos and ios platforms, greatly improve reliability and speed of device syncing since only changes would have to be updated rather than entire files? I’m by no means an expert just wondering whether this might lead to improvements in the future, especially when it comes to MacOS/iOS compatibility.

kewms

Wed Jun 13, 2018 9:42 pm Post

Shamanth wrote:I am not sure to what extent scrivener could make use of this but wouldn’t support for apfs snapshots, at least with macos and ios platforms, greatly improve reliability and speed of device syncing since only changes would have to be updated rather than entire files? I’m by no means an expert just wondering whether this might lead to improvements in the future, especially when it comes to MacOS/iOS compatibility.

Remember that the transfer is through a Dropbox data center, which probably does *not* use a Mac filesystem.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Sh
Shamanth

Wed Jun 13, 2018 10:42 pm Post

kewms wrote:
Shamanth wrote:I am not sure to what extent scrivener could make use of this but wouldn’t support for apfs snapshots, at least with macos and ios platforms, greatly improve reliability and speed of device syncing since only changes would have to be updated rather than entire files? I’m by no means an expert just wondering whether this might lead to improvements in the future, especially when it comes to MacOS/iOS compatibility.

Remember that the transfer is through a Dropbox data center, which probably does *not* use a Mac filesystem.

Katherine

Ah yes true.. I imagine this to be the case for icloud drive as well then, assuming support for that arrives eventually as Keith hinted at in another thread.