newest windows update doesn't work

MimeticMouton
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu Jun 14, 2018 4:04 pm Post

The main difference between the 1.9.7 and 1.9.8 builds is that a few libraries were updated internally for a third-party converter we use, so at the moment I'm guessing that's what's causing the problem on some people's systems. We've seen before some cases where antivirus or other security software will flag Scrivener or components of it following a new release because the new version is not "trusted" by enough users yet, with the result that Scrivener will hang on startup or chug along a lot more slowly. If any of you are running security software, please try whitelisting Scrivener and its files, or temporarily disable the software to see if Scrivener will run more smoothly. Particularly if you notice that any files have been quarantined, you may need to reboot and reinstall Scrivener after whitelisting it.

If that doesn't seem to help at all, we'd appreciate if some folks could go through the following steps to get us more information on what's happening on the system when trying to launch Scrivener. You'll need to have administrator privileges for installing the Windows debugging tool (you should be able to just enter the admin password when prompted, if you're running as a standard user, or you can right-click the installer and choose "Run as administrator" when you start the process), but the rest can be done as a standard user. This is applicable for Windows 7 thru 10.

1. Download the Windows 10 SDK from here: https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/windows-10-sdk
  2. Run the installer and choose to install the kit "to this computer", using the default location (C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\).
  3. During installation, select the Debugging Tools for Windows box and clear all the other boxes.
  4. Navigate in File Explorer to `C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Debuggers\x86\` and double-click the windbg.exe to run the WinDbg tool.
  5. In the WinDbg window that opens, select File > Open Executable and navigate to the Scrivener executable, typically at `C:\Program Files (x86)\Scrivener\Scrivener.exe`; select the Scrivener application file and choose Open.
  6. In the main WinDbg window, select Edit > Write Window Text To File to save all the contents of that second window to a .txt file in a convenient location of your choice.
  7. Once you've confirmed the file is created, you can close WinDbg, which will also close the second window.

Please then either attach the file from step 6 to a post here (you will need to change the extension for the forum to accept it) or email it to windows.support@literatureandlatte.com so we can take a look. Please also include your Windows OS version number and whether you installed via the auto-update or by downloading the full installer from the website.

Finally, a few other less-involved things to try. Each of these is an individual test, not something that needs to be done in order.

1. Please navigate in File Explorer to the Scrivener installation folder and remove the "rtfi.exe" file (you can just drag it to the Desktop temporarily) then try again to launch Scrivener. If there's no change, go ahead and restore the rtfi.exe to its original location.
  2. Hold Ctrl+Shift while launching Scrivener. This prevents font parsing on startup (needed for compatibility with iOS) and may show a difference in Scrivener's behaviour if there's a problem with accessing the system files needed for this process.
  3. Launch Scrivener by right-clicking the "ScrivenerLog.bat" file within the installation folder and choosing "Run as administrator." (If Scrivener is installed to a non-privileged location like your Documents folder, you can run this as a standard user instead.) After Scrivener launches and you've experienced the hang or slowdown, quit Scrivener, then reload the installation folder in File Explorer and check for a "log" folder. Please attach the log file inside to a reply here (change the extension) or email it to windows.support@literatureandlatte.com.
  4. If any crash files are created within the "minidump" folder in Scrivener's installation folder, please zip the most recent one or two by right-clicking the selected files and choosing "Send to > Compressed (zipped) folder", then attach or email that.

Thank you for your help in tracking down the problem!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Mi
Mishkish
Platform: Windows

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:45 pm Post

Hope this helps in debugging.
Because the actual update wouldn't even run for me (I had moved the Scriv executable to Program Folders but it was originally installed in my personal folder so that was my fault) I decided to uninstall Scriv so I could then reinstall it in the Program Folders where I wanted it. Because of that decision, I had to download the new version from the website and did a complete install instead of an update.
So far everything is fine.
Maybe the problem is in the update versus a new install?

Li
LinP

Thu Jun 14, 2018 8:54 pm Post

I had a a few bad minutes while the updated Scrivener searched for my file(s). Eventually it came up. After reading the postings on the Scrivener Users FB group, I brought up Scriv (second time since the update). It takes a long time to come up, a most unusual thing. When it comes up, all the correct files seem to be as they should.

s.
s.a.nott-bower

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:37 am Post

I had exactly the same problem. Wrote to L&L support twice but no reply. The suggestion to reinstall the previous version 1.9.7 worked for me. But many hours of panic and frustration.
:cry:

mf
mfjames

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:38 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:...If that doesn't seem to help at all, we'd appreciate if some folks could go through the following steps to get us more information on what's happening on the system when trying to launch Scrivener...

1. Windows SDK debugging tool
    Your link was for the Windows 10 SDK, but I'm on Windows 7. If anybody else wants to try, the earlier SDK packages are all available from https://developer.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/downloads/sdk-archive. I tried the Windows 7 kit, but the installation kept failing for an "unknown reason" .(Very useful, thank you Microsoft!)
  2. Remove the "rtfi.exe" file
    Starting Scrivener threw up an error message "Failed loading font file "C:\Windows\Fonts\lucon_0.ttf". The font file will be ignored.". But thereafter the process still hung with no UI.
  3. Hold Ctrl+Shift while launching Scrivener.
    Scrivener started normally and very fast. (Is this a clue?)
  4. Launch Scrivener by right-clicking the "ScrivenerLog.bat" file within the installation folder and choosing "Run as administrator."
    Log file echoed to the console window showed Scrivener writing at about one line per second. After 11 minutes the UI finally opened normally. There's about 1300 lines in the log file, so I've emailed it
  5. If any crash files are created within the "minidump" folder in Scrivener's installation folder...
    No crash files were produced.

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Fri Jun 15, 2018 1:51 pm Post

SteveCarterFrogstory wrote:Version 1.9.8 loads slowly for me also on Windows 7 Home Premium. Ctrl-left does not work as expected - even after resetting and re-assigning in options, which may indicate some problem with a library or a component,

Same for me on Win 7 Pro.

Documents > Move > Left seems permenantly grayed out, will not work.

MimeticMouton

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:30 pm Post

Hi all,

We've put up a new version of 1.9.8 which should fix the slowdown and freezing that some people are experiencing. Please clear your browser cache (or use a second browser), then download the new installer. You can install this over your existing installation or do a completely fresh install by uninstalling the previous version first.

The date for this version of 1.9.8 and the installer is 15 June (you'll see this in Help > About Scrivener, or if you check properties on the Scrivener.exe or the installer and view Details).

This version also fixes the the menu/shortcut for promoting items (moving left) in the binder.

Please note that if the font parser in Scrivener encounters a corrupt font on the system, it can crash Scrivener during the startup process. If you experience this--Scrivener seems to start launching, then stops (the 'wait" icon disappears, Scrivener vanishes from Task Manager), just launch Scrivener again. You should this time see a message indicating that the font which caused it to crash will be ignored for subsequent launches, and Scrivener will continue opening as normal. (You'll only see that message about the font the first time.)

Please install the new version and let us know if that gets Scrivener running more swiftly again! Thanks to everyone who reported and helped us track down the trouble, and to all of you for your patience as we've worked to resolve it.
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

MimeticMouton

Fri Jun 15, 2018 10:36 pm Post

mfjames wrote:Your link was for the Windows 10 SDK, but I'm on Windows 7

The Windows 10 SDK should work for Windows 7 and 8,1 as well as 10, at least for the WinDbg tool that we're after. Sorry you had trouble getting the SDK to install, but thank you for trying!

Hold Ctrl+Shift while launching Scrivener.
Scrivener started normally and very fast. (Is this a clue?)

Yes, holding Ctrl+Shift causes Scrivener to open without the font parsing process. The process under normal circumstances won't cause the startup to take much longer (it'll depend on the size of the font library on Windows, but even with a large one we're just talking a few seconds, give or take based on the machine specs) but here with problems encountered, it would make a significant difference. This is good news, and I'm hopeful the updated 1.9.8 build linked above will resolve the problem for you!
Jennifer Hughes
(MM for short)

Tanith

Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:42 am Post

MimeticMouton wrote:Hi all,

We've put up a new version of 1.9.8 which should fix the slowdown and freezing that some people are experiencing. Please clear your browser cache (or use a second browser), then download the new installer. You can install this over your existing installation or do a completely fresh install by uninstalling the previous version first.

The date for this version of 1.9.8 and the installer is 15 June (you'll see this in Help > About Scrivener, or if you check properties on the Scrivener.exe or the installer and view Details).

This version also fixes the the menu/shortcut for promoting items (moving left) in the binder.

Please note that if the font parser in Scrivener encounters a corrupt font on the system, it can crash Scrivener during the startup process. If you experience this--Scrivener seems to start launching, then stops (the 'wait" icon disappears, Scrivener vanishes from Task Manager), just launch Scrivener again. You should this time see a message indicating that the font which caused it to crash will be ignored for subsequent launches, and Scrivener will continue opening as normal. (You'll only see that message about the font the first time.)

Please install the new version and let us know if that gets Scrivener running more swiftly again! Thanks to everyone who reported and helped us track down the trouble, and to all of you for your patience as we've worked to resolve it.

That did the trick for me, MM! Scrivener now launches quickly and normally on Windows 7 Professional, yayyy! Thank you!

:mrgreen:

St
SteveCarterFrogstory

Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:53 am Post

The new 1.9.8 update works for me on Windows 7 Home Premium. Loads quickly and the issue with Ctrl-left is resolved. Thank you!

Ji
JimRac
Platform: Win + iOS

Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:44 am Post

SteveCarterFrogstory wrote:The new 1.9.8 update works for me on Windows 7 Home Premium. Loads quickly and the issue with Ctrl-left is resolved. Thank you!

Yup, for me too.

mf
mfjames

Sat Jun 16, 2018 11:30 am Post

Yes, the new 1.9.8 works a treat. It was a little sluggish the first time it started (as you warned) but thereafter it's been back to its usual fast start up. Thank you for the rapid response!

As a supplimentary question: should you/I/somebody be worried about these fonts crashing the parser or failing to parse? I'm not aware of any corrupt fonts as far as any other software is concerned. I tried a couple that the Scrivener log file complained about, and they both work fine, without complaint, in Microsoft Word and in Adobe Photoshop.

Jestar

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:02 pm Post

MimeticMouton wrote:

FWIW, I was not having an issue with the previous 1.9.8.0 update or the installer - at least I was not experiencing long delays opening projects. I went ahead and grabbed this new installer, installed over the previous 1.9.8.0 version, and noted that it does open a bit faster. Interesting. At any rate, I'm a happy camper still other than wishing you would have incremented the sub-minor version number (e.g., 1.9.8.0 to 1.9.8.1) to better tell the versions apart.
Win 7 64-Bit
Intel Core i7-2600 @ 3,4 GHz (Quadcore) 32 GB RAM
NVIDIA Quadro K600
Scrivener 1.9.8.0 & Version: 2.9.0.8 Beta (273516) 64-bit - 01 Aug 2018

gr
grindzombie

Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:55 pm Post

Had a slightly minor issue when installing the latest update. Could very well have been something that I did wrong, Nevertheless, I'll describe my experience (and fix) here for posterity.

Currently running Windows 10.

When asked to update, I breezed through the steps, clicking okay/accept, thinking that this would be a routine replacement of existing Scrivener files. However, after the update completed and I attempted to open one of my projects in my documents folder, I got an error saying something to the effect of "you cannot open a project located inside the installation folder, please move the project folder outside the installation folder and try again." Got this message on all my projects located at various points within my docs folder. I tried moving a project to the C:\ directory and still got the message, and there I saw that all the scrivener files were sitting right in my root directory (C:\), not even in a folder. I should have checked the installation location when I was applying the update, because for whatever reason it defaulted to C:\. Fortunately, the easy fix is to run the uninstaller and re-download (making sure to set your install directory to something other than the root). Like I said minor problem with an easy fix, but maybe someone else will run into this problem and could use a little guidance.

TLDR: When running the update double-check that you are installing to the right directory, because mine low-key defaulted to C:\ and I had to un/reinstall.

tiho_d
Platform: Linux + Windows

Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:52 pm Post

@grindzombie: The update installer indeed grabs the installation folder key from your own computer. This is what has been reported from previous installation. I cannot tell why this obviously unusual path was reported, but indeed it does come from your own computer and your computer registry. Something or someone must have changed or written it like this previously.