A/V Script Template

kn
knewsom

Wed May 16, 2018 8:19 pm Post

Hey all, long-time user with a relatively new need. I'm working on a video project for a client who would like the script to be in A/V format (picture on left text on right) - I hadn't used Scrivener to do this but was nearly certain there'd be a template for it. Imagine my surprise! Anyhow, it seems like there's gotta be one out there somewhere but I'm having the darndest time finding one. It'd be great it one were integrated into the software.

Cheers,
Kris

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Wed May 16, 2018 8:42 pm Post

It sounds like the sort of thing that might be possible using tables, but it depends on the format. Do you have an example script?

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."

kn
knewsom

Wed May 16, 2018 8:47 pm Post

KB wrote:It sounds like the sort of thing that might be possible using tables, but it depends on the format. Do you have an example script?

All the best,
Keith

Sure - here's one.http://static1.squarespace.com/static/5 ... .34+PM.png

I do think it could be done pretty easily with tables, I just think it'd be great to have some of the other screenplay elements integrated, and have it integrated with the software itself as an option when creating a new doc.

Cheers,
Kris

KB
Site Admin
Platform: Mac

Thu May 17, 2018 7:15 pm Post

Thanks for the example. Scriptwriting mode doesn't work well inside tables, but this would work, I think, as a simple two-column table document template with the font set in the document. That is, you would do something like this:

1. Start from a blank project.
2. Set up a document with a two-column table.
3. Give it two rows and merge the two cells in the top row.
4. Select the table and change the font to Courier.
5. Create a "Templates" folder below the "Research" folder.
6. Set the "Templates" folder as the project templates folder in the Project Settings (under the Project menu - "Special Folders" in Project Settings).
7. Put the file containing the table in the Templates folder.
8. Select the Draft folder, and under Documents > Default Template for Subdocuments, select the document containing the table.

Now, every time you add a document to the Draft folder, it contains your table and you're ready to start typing. You'll probably want to set up some other defaults, but once you have it all as you want, you can save it as your own project template using File > Save as Template. You can then use it for all new projects of this type.

I recommend taking a look at the "Documentary" project template, which provides a good example of how this could be done.

All the best,
Keith
"You can't waltz in here, use my toaster, and start spouting universal truths without qualification."