Zotero picker for Windows users (AKA how to cite without ever leaving Scrivener)

Am
AmomentOfMusic
Platform: Windows

Tue Apr 17, 2018 5:41 pm Post

Like a lot of academics I've been searching around for a while for a better way to cite using Zotero and Scrivener. I don't mind having to scan my document after compilation using the ODF scan, but what I really wanted was the ability to call up the zotero picker you see in the word plugging using a keyboard shortcut, without ever having to leave Srivener . You know... this thing:

Well, a while back I found Dave Smith's solution. The problem? I'm a windows user. But after stumbling across a powershell script online that didn't have any instructions, lots of trial and error and enlisting my partner who is actually a programmer for help debugging, I've finally got it to work!

Click here for instructions on how to use the Zotero picker in Scrivener

What this script does: using the keyboard shortcut to call up Bibliography/citation manager in Scrivener, this pulls up the Zotero picker and then inserts a scannable-cite citation directly into your document.

What this does not do: insert live citations in Scrivener. You will still have to scan the document after you compile.

It's a bit finicky to set up, but I think it is well the effort, and really streamlines the citation process. Happy citing!

*Disclaiming* I will try to answer as many questions as I can, but I am not a programmer... If anybody wants to find a way to package the whole thing a bit more neatly, be my guest.