Compiling to Word with "Styles"

nontroppo
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 27, 2018 12:46 am Post

Can you make sample scriv project from the one that doesn't work, zip it up and attach it so we can have a look?

pe
perezbalen
Platform: Windows

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:34 am Post

I've been having trouble figuring out how to export with styles in Windows (so I can use docx to plug into inDesign). So I tried what nontroppo suggested.

nontroppo wrote:You must do this manually in your Compile format. You set up your Heading 1-3 styles in the Compile Style Editor pane, and then you use these styles in the Compile Section Layout Editor pane.

This is the result in Word's document map:

Screen Shot 2018-01-08 at 09.42.13.png

See a test project that demonstrates this here

Heading Test.scriv.zip

I downloaded the project, Unziped it, Opened it. Without touching anything, compiled it as docx using the "ModernPart-Chapter-Scene" Format, and the result was no styles (just font, size, and I assume, color). No document map.

I noted the zip file had a "__MACOSX" folder, so my guess is that this is a Windows bug. Can anyone else confirm this?

kewms

Mon Oct 29, 2018 1:40 am Post

Please confirm that you are using the Win Scrivener 3 beta. The current release version of Windows Scrivener does not support styles, so none of the advice in this thread will work.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

pe
perezbalen

Mon Oct 29, 2018 2:28 pm Post

I'm using the latest beta 3.

kewms

Mon Oct 29, 2018 3:56 pm Post

perezbalen wrote:I'm using the latest beta 3.

I'd suggest starting a new thread in the Beta forum, then.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

Pi
Pincolino

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:13 pm Post

kewms wrote:Please confirm that you are using the Win Scrivener 3 beta. The current release version of Windows Scrivener does not support styles, so none of the advice in this thread will work.

Katherine

I have the same problem. I use Scrivener 3.0.3 (3032)
I cannot make it work either. MS Word doesn't recognize the headings. I use MacOS.
Is there no solution? Why does Scrivener not support styles?

Pi
Pincolino

Mon Nov 12, 2018 7:16 pm Post

On a sidenote: The file worked for me, but I coudn't reproduce it, and I followed everything step by step. It only works if I import the formatting (heading) used in this file.

kewms

Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:06 pm Post

If you're using MacOS, please post in the Mac support forum. You're likely to get much more relevant responses. Or open a support ticket:
http://www.literatureandlatte.com/contact-us

Yes, Mac Scrivener 3 should attach styles to Word format output. If it's not working for you, we'll probably need to do some additional investigation to resolve the problem.

Katherine
Scrivener Support Team

mo
modillon

Sat Dec 08, 2018 7:33 pm Post

I have a little hack for fellow Windows sufferers. In Word do a "replace all" > Format > Style,
any text that says "Part I", "Part V", etc" to "Heading 1" and any text beginning with "Chapter " to "Heading 2." it's not fancy and you may pick up some other text, but the basic outline will show up in the navigation pane.