NiaD 7: Lessons Learned

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:17 pm Post

pigfender wrote:Changing the subject slightly...
How do people feel about having expositional elements in their chapter briefs? I’ve tended to write off story ideas that have required any material level of exposition, but maybe I’m too sensitive?

I am not entirely clear on what you are considering here. How is what you are thinking about different from providing "background information"? Or are you refer to a sort of case where part of what the chapter author would be instructed to do is include some expositing of certain story facts?

Prithee enlighten,
gr
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat
"Nothing, like something, happens anywhere." —Philip Larkin

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:23 pm Post

no no no no no... no lightening... I just got out from under my rock and I don't want to be scared back under there!!!!
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:27 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:no no no no no... no lightening... I just got out from under my rock and I don't want to be scared back under there!!!!

Hey numpty! This is Niad country ... not Three word nonsense. Act like a grown up ... ok?
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Aug 14, 2018 8:50 pm Post

gr wrote:Prithee enlighten,
gr

Nevermind, I’ll find another way/story.

(00)
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

gr

Wed Aug 15, 2018 3:09 am Post

pigfender wrote:
gr wrote:Prithee enlighten,
gr

Nevermind, I’ll find another way/story.

(00)

I can see that you are working hard trying to undermine whatever genre bets my wife and I placed -- without even knowing what they are!

Jaysen

Wed Aug 15, 2018 12:15 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
Jaysen wrote:no no no no no... no lightening... I just got out from under my rock and I don't want to be scared back under there!!!!

Hey numpty! This is Niad country ... not Three word nonsense. Act like a grown up ... ok?

Hey now! there's a lot more then tree words. But if you insist....

cork hickory ash elm oak maple ... syrup... bacon.... piggy ... what's the NiaD plan?

See what happened? we are back to a legit topic. Bad vic-k... bad!
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k

Wed Aug 15, 2018 2:24 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:Hey now! there's a lot more then tree words. But if you insist....

cork hickory ash elm oak maple ... syrup... bacon.... piggy ... what's the NiaD plan?

See what happened? we are back to a legit topic. Bad vic-k... bad!

tch! tch! Numpty ... be very careful! Pigfender has inherited the ability to move threads about arbitrarily ... cross him again and he’ll dump you, not on Scriv’s bottom deck ... Latte ... but in Scriv’s bilges, or as Billy Shake-y’-spear’s Prince Hambergerlet proffers, “The undiscovered country, from whose bourne no traveller returns, ....” Feck knows what or who you’ll be swimming with in those fetid, putrid waters, while having to endure this, on loop https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpJ6anurfuw
Be very, very careful numpt. :shock:
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

lunk

Wed Aug 15, 2018 4:11 pm Post

vic-k wrote:The undiscovered country, from which Bourne returns, ....”

Is this Jason you’re talking about?
I am a user, writing non-fiction and science, using:
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

vic-k

Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:44 pm Post

lunk wrote:
vic-k wrote:The undiscovered country, from which Bourne returns, ....”
Is this Jason you’re talking about?

Very smartarsed ... very droll ... but beware, you've been warned :shock:

lunk

Wed Aug 15, 2018 6:57 pm Post

Well, I do have nine lives, right? :D
* Mac Scrivener 3 on a Macbook 12”, MacBook Pro 13”, and iMac 27”, all running the latest MacOS
* iOS Scrivener 1 on an iPhone 8, iPad Air 9.7”, and iPad Pro 12.9”, all running the latest iOS

vic-k

Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:18 pm Post

Doesn't matter how many y've got ... you don't want to spend the rest of them swimming around the bilges cesspit. d' y'? :?

lunk

Wed Aug 15, 2018 9:05 pm Post

I resr my case... 8)

pigfender

Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:48 pm Post

lunk wrote:Well, I do have nine lives, right? :D

Are you a cat? Blimey, I always thought you were one of those big fluffy hamster things.
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

pigfender

Sat Aug 18, 2018 5:57 pm Post

[quote="gr”]

I can see that you are working hard trying to undermine whatever genre bets my wife and I placed -- without even knowing what they are![/quote]

If I wanted to do that, I’d hint at revisiting a previous genre.

But that would be both mean and against the rules. If I don’t insist on a new genre each time, I can’t call it quits when we’ve done them all*.

* there must be, like, only three genres left, right?!

gr

Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:32 am Post

pigfender wrote:
But that would be both mean and against the rules. If I don’t insist on a new genre each time, I can’t call it quits when we’ve done them all.

So sorry. I already have in the wings an extended theory of genre -- your own theory of genre but on steroids.* Code name: "genreRog+" or just 'gRog' for short. Ready to spring that on you at the first sign of danger.

gr

*You probably think I am kidding.