NiaD Episode VI: Return of the NiaD

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Thu May 18, 2017 6:55 am Post

PLEASE NOTE - NIAD 6 HAS NOW FINISHED. THE NEXT NIAD WILL TAKE PLACE IN OCTOBER - CHECK BACK FROM LATE AUGUST FOR SIGN UP DETAILS.

Some of you will recall that we never got round to scheduling a NiaD for last October because of an unwelcomed excess of Real Life™. When I announced that it wouldn’t be going ahead you lot were amazing, with exactly the right blend of disappointment and well-wishes to make me all warm and fuzzy, and help that Real Life™ seem manageable.

So, to say “Thank You”, I’m going to follow one of Jaysen’s suggestions: Welcome to a very special out-of-season version of Novel-in-a-Day: Novella-in-a-Day!

Time is no substitute for talent
On Saturday June 17th 2017, we’ll be taking part in NiaD VI… Our SIXTH event to pool the collective talents of writers from around the world and write a damn fine book in just a single 24-hour period!

What is it?
If you’re new to NiaD please check out the FAQs for more details and background, but essentially:
1) At midnight (UK time) on the day of the event you'll be emailed a brief of what you need to include in your chapter.
2) You go away and write your section without any knowledge of the wider story or where your chapter fits in the book.
3) You return your chapter by 8pm (UK time) at which point it's turned into ePub, mobi and PDF books using the magic of Scrivener, ready for publication on or around midnight.

So basically we’ll be writing a novella… in a day!

How is Novella-in-a-Day different to Novel-in-a-Day?
Three ways!
1) It’s running in June (Novel-in-a-Day will run as usual this October)!
2) Each book will have only 12 chapters instead of the normal 24, so it’s a shorter, punchier, more novella-ier story!
3) Because of the smaller number of chapters, we’re expecting more versions of the book than normal, so there will be even more examples of each chapter for you to compare your style to!

Other than that, it will be the same NiaD experience that you know and love!

How do I sign up?
If you're up for the challenge of taking part (and have read the FAQs to know what you're letting yourself in for), let me know by posting in this thread! 

We’ll be keeping the registration open until a few days before the event to produce as many versions of the book as the number of participants allows, so invite your writing friends to sign up too!

Check the start and submission deadlines in your local timezone
Starts: countdown or time
Submission deadline: countdown or time
Ends: countdown or time

pigfender

Thu May 18, 2017 6:56 am Post

This post will be updated as people register their interest, to save people trawling through what I'm somewhat optimistically hoping will be a long thread!

The following people have registered:

● Apsley
● azuarc
● Camy
● Catcher74
● ConradG
● Daurmith
● devinganger
● DMJ
● Evil Overlord
● FleetAdmiralO
● GilsDesk
✸ gr
● hjordisa
● homeport
● IanPhilpot
● IndyRobitaille
● JacquelineM
● Jaype
● Jaysen
● jdeckstrom
● katlovergilpin
● KB
● Kimkneen
● KSWrites
● Library Lil
● Luscinia Evan
● Maerahn
● michaelbywater
● Mikeydev
● Myrth
● neomarsu
✸ nom
● pete340
● Peytonic
● Rollerdiva
● RonjoI
● Ryker Hayes
● sameagleusa
[and friend]
● scrapsandsass
● Siren
● Wolf_Baginski

Individuals in BOLD text have confirmed returns of their chapter -- note as the day gets on it'll take longer and longer for me to acknowledge receipt! Remember - and RTF file or text in the body or an email are about as easy for me as it gets!
Which makes: 42 people across 4 books!
PLEASE NOTE - NIAD 6 HAS NOW FINISHED. THE NEXT NIAD WILL TAKE PLACE IN OCTOBER - CHECK BACK FROM LATE AUGUST FOR SIGN UP DETAILS.
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

nom
Platform: Mac + iOS

Thu May 18, 2017 8:23 am Post

I'm in. :D

So, does NiADmini mean shorter chapters?
Complete and utter NOMsense.

Li
Library Lil
Platform: Windows

Thu May 18, 2017 8:38 am Post

Count me in too! Hope that Real Life has settled down for you now. x
Library Lil

pigfender

Thu May 18, 2017 8:58 am Post

nom wrote:I'm in. :D

Yay!
nom wrote:So, does NiADmini mean shorter chapters?

No, although it does mean a slightly more relaxed approach to word limits.

The overarching story is being specifically written to be a shorter, more compact story, but the chapters are being broken down in the same was as ever. So, you can expect to have a very similar looking brief to normal, with just as much stuff to cover and just as much opportunity to expand and show off your unique talents!

We normally ask that submissions be at least 1,500 words, and tend to receive submissions in the 1,500 to 4,200 range. I'm still asking for and encouraging submissions at least 1,500 word but with the caveat though, that it's better to submit a shorter piece than to not submit a chapter at all, and that I'd rather have 1,300 brilliant, well-edited words than 1,501 okay ones.

Library Lil wrote:Count me in too! Hope that Real Life has settled down for you now. x

Thanks Lil! Good to have you take part again!
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Thu May 18, 2017 9:05 am Post

Hi Rog,

Glad it's all up and running again, though I have to say Real Life—if I might for the moment infringe your trademark—is very much getting in the way for me at that time.

But I wish everyone the best of luck and maximum fun!

:)

Mark
The Scrivenerato sometimes known as Mr X.
MacBook Pro Retina 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
MacBook Pro 17" (late 2011) 10.13, 8GB RAM, 512GB SSID
iPad Air 2, iOS 11, 64GB
Scrivener, Scapple, Nisus Writer Pro, Bookends …

Daurmith

Thu May 18, 2017 9:29 am Post

Oooh, me, me! Pick me! Memememe! *jumps up and down excitedly waving her arms*

Adela "Daurmith"

Ro
Rollerdiva

Thu May 18, 2017 9:34 am Post

HELL YEAH!

Ja
Jaype
Platform: Mac + Windows

Thu May 18, 2017 9:34 am Post

Thanks Rog - I'm in! October wasn't the same without it...

Julia L&L
Confession: I am the Scrivener team's 'half-a-person".

ConradG

Thu May 18, 2017 11:30 am Post

I'd like to take part please!

--

Will the forum badge for the shorter Episode VI be a little espresso cup rather than a coffee mug?

Jaysen

Thu May 18, 2017 11:57 am Post

I shall strive to maintain a consistently disappointing submission if my participation is still tolerable.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

nom

Thu May 18, 2017 12:07 pm Post

pigfender wrote:I'd rather have 1,300 brilliant, well-edited words than 1,501 okay ones.

Now you tell me (and don't say it was in the small print – no one reads the small print)
Last edited by nom on Thu May 18, 2017 12:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ia
IanPhilpot

Thu May 18, 2017 12:09 pm Post

Yay! So glad it's back! Count me in!

Jaysen

Thu May 18, 2017 12:11 pm Post

nom wrote:
pigfender wrote:I'd rather have 1,300 brilliant, well-edited words than 1,501 okay ones.

Now you tell me (and don't say it was in the small print – no one reads the small print)

I often wonder "Does Mr Piggy actually think about who he lets into these little parties? He should know that well edited and well written just ain't gonna' happen wid me. Let's no even TALK 'bout stickin' to a wurd count limit."

After this I just may have June 17 all to myself :)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

nom

Thu May 18, 2017 12:28 pm Post

Jaysen wrote:
nom wrote:

I often wonder "Does Mr Piggy actually think about who he lets into these little parties? He should know that well edited and well written just ain't gonna' happen wid me. Let's no even TALK 'bout stickin' to a wurd count limit."

After this I just may have June 17 all to myself :)

Hey, this is *your* fault you know! Revisiting some of my notifications (look, it's been a while since I was here OK?) I discovered that NiADmini was your idea. Remind me that you owe me a beer. And whiskey. You owe me whiskey too*!

*Proper whiskey that is. Don't try passing off some of that southern moonshine that doubles as aviation fuel...