Feature requests

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Mar 12, 2017 3:22 pm Post

This is a lovely thread to add and discuss any suggestions you have to improve the NiaD experience for all.

Some previous suggestions I've received include...
- NiaD Live -- a place / coffeeshop where people can actually gather and do NiaD together on the day (or just pop by and say 'hi')
- T-Shirts [DONE]
- Spanish language version
- Physical copies of books
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Mon Mar 13, 2017 2:16 pm Post

Make sure it happens... :P

I think you should consider "hemispheric" leadership. EX, NA/SA has a leader who makes assignments and aggregations. EU/AS/AS has one, etc. This leaves you with the outline/plot points.

The obvious problem here is participation rates. If you have uneven participation then assign leaders based on covers (red, blue, green) so you only have to deal with the outline/plot and maybe one cover.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

homeport
Platform: Mac

Tue Mar 14, 2017 9:06 pm Post

The live update is an interesting idea a ship in middle of ocean maybe and parachute us all in :D
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

devinganger

Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:56 am Post

NiaD live streaming -- get that live feel, but without the geographic pain. Use Twitch or your favorite live streaming platform of choice.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

homeport

Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:29 pm Post

I think real copies of books is an unnecessary amount of work if someone wants to print their copies thats a possibility but I am guessing most of us are happy to have a eBook library like I have of what we have achieved so far.
We need to think of how we can help Pigfender lighten his load when we do this novel because we might huff and puff at trying to write a chapter but he sits there quietly getting on with a huge job of compiling all of our work into what was one novel and each year as the amount of people taking part increases to multiple books and all done within 24 hours. We all appreciate his hard work I am sure I know I do, but he needs some help here so that he wants to continue this great job. :D
"The question is," said Alice, "whether you can make words mean so many different things."

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:05 pm Post

homeport wrote:We all appreciate his hard work I am sure I know I do, but he needs some help here so that he wants to continue this great job.
Well then, let's ask Pigfender (Rog): What, o' Mighty One, can we, the readers of, and would be contributors to, the next Niad do to help lessen your burden?

Take care
Vic-Niad Reader-K
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:07 am Post

Jaysen wrote:I think you should consider "hemispheric" leadership. EX, NA/SA has a leader who makes assignments and aggregations. EU/AS/AS has one, etc. This leaves you with the outline/plot points.

homeport wrote:We need to think of how we can help Pigfender lighten his load... We all appreciate his hard work I am sure I know I do, but he needs some help here so that he wants to continue this great job. :D

vic-k wrote:What... can we... do to help lessen your burden?

That's all very sweet of you. I'll definitely be looking at ways to make the administrative aspects of NiaD a bit easier. If it scales beyond three books in the future that's likely to involve volunteers for importing and compiling, and it'll probably involve me being much less active in the signing up of people in the run up to the event.

But what I'm *especially* interested in hearing (in this thread at least!) are suggestions for how to change / evolve / add to the event itself from a participant (rather than pigfender) perspective. How can we make this an even better event for you lot? Or is it perfect?
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

devinganger

Tue Mar 21, 2017 8:11 am Post

Seriously, a Twitch or other livestream event all day, with different hosts taking over as the world turns 'round.

Or a Google Hangout-type thing where you can have participants all in the same virtual audio/video chatroom...
--
Devin L. Ganger

Jaysen

Tue Mar 21, 2017 12:43 pm Post

In my opinion: Make no changes.

The point of NiaD that finally coopted my participation is that we each write a short story in 24hr with limited info. As it is we germinate, gestate, then give birth to "24 independent shorts on a common outline". Anything that moves it toward a "collaborative novel" would be to lessen the NiaD-ness of NiaD.

I could see would be to arrange books via timezones so you could release outlines to optimize efficiency. Ex: the 6P delivery to me lets me read, think, sleep, rethink then pound out my 3k being confident in what I'm putting on the page. Problem is that you would then have the outline "in the wild" and certain sneaky individuals might get their hands on it early.

I think "team writing" could be a thing. kind of like the old "three word" threads, but more structured. Maybe something like 150word blocks. I bet you'd get a few folks on that that would not do NiaD with a 3k commitment.

It might be nice to consider a smaller format NiaD... a M-Niad ... the Mini Novel in a Day. Each segment is 1K, limit it to 15 chapters. Let it be sponsored by a different outline provider and use it as a "training tool" for folks that think they would set up to help you with NiaD. "How does that help you, the writer?" you ask... It let's newer folks try something smaller. It let's those of us to are NOT interested in publishing or getting paid to write have a creative outlet a bit more structured. It can be a nice practice for "the big show".

That's all I've got for now. Feel free to put it all in the rubbish bin where the rest of the trash resides :)
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k

Wed Mar 22, 2017 12:52 pm Post

I find that I am as one with our Jaysen on more than a few aspect of his post ... I'm veering t'ward, 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it!'
I 'd avoid adding anymore layers of complexity ... simple is good ...init? Bloatware bad? :?
Vic-Niad Read-K
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

homeport

Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:01 pm Post

I agree its worked well and if we have chat rooms then we can say hey what bit do you have to write
and that would be like cheating we just dont know at moment and that is a lot of fun and anguish :)

devinganger

Tue Mar 28, 2017 11:12 pm Post

Jaysen, Vic-K, I respect where you're coming from and I respect you both a lot (yes, Vic, even you!) -- but I suggested something I would like to see *as someone who currently feels no urge to participate in NiaD because it's too far outside of my experience and comfort zone*.

If I had a Twitch stream I could watch, or a hangout I could see, maybe that would change my mind. I wasn't thinking "collaborate on the plot" bit, so much as I was thinking "show off the fun and community."

But right now, NiaD feels (to this outsider) too much like a club with outsiders not welcome.
--
Devin L. Ganger

vic-k

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:07 pm Post

devinganger wrote:Jaysen, Vic-K, I respect where you're coming from and I respect you both a lot (yes, Vic, even you!)<-If Fluff was still posting on these hallowed boards, she'd say, "Oh dear me! Master Devin, seek out and acquire vaccination against further infection, immediately!"
-- but I suggested something I would like to see *as someone who currently feels no urge to participate in NiaD because it's too far outside of my experience and comfort zone*. Dev, me old buddy, rest assured that my post, and I'm sure Jaysen's too, was in no way intended to denigrate the validity of your suggestion. Indeed, is not viewtopic.php?f=51&t=36259&start=45 vindication of the sentiments you expressed apropos:
If I had a Twitch stream I could watch, or a hangout I could see, maybe that would change my mind. I wasn't thinking "collaborate on the plot" bit, so much as I was thinking "show off the fun and community."
but in the guise of something no more complex or sophisticated than a humble Niad thread. However, here:
But right now, NiaD feels (to this outsider) too much like a club with outsiders not welcome.
I do take issue with you, and vehemently so!
a)I'm not aware of anyone coming aboard Scriv, or seeking to join in Niad, being treated as an outsider.
b) since when, or why, do *you* feel like an outsider? You're one of the most active members of the crew. As and when Niad resumes, and enrolment opens up again, if you, or anybody else apply, you'll be accepted, first-come-first-served or be added to a list in case of drop-outs, or the list is long enough to accommodate a second or ??? Niad. If practicable, that is. And it's that word, practicable, that lies at the heart of my reticence.
To be sure, it was Rog (Pigfender), who opened the thread, seeking suggestions, and it'll be Rog who ultimately says Yeah/no/maybe! As a mere bystander/reader only, I'd caution against overloading an already successful format. Just what exactly constitutes overload, is up to Niad's admin to determine.
Also, Dev, we have to bear in mind, that those who get picked take it very seriously, and they disappear of the face of the planet till finished! Which! doesn't preclude 'em cavorting about on
"....a Twitch stream I could watch, or a hangout I could see,..." before-n-after.
Take care, buddy
Vic

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Wed Mar 29, 2017 12:50 pm Post

devinganger wrote: *as someone who currently feels no urge to participate in NiaD because it's too far outside of my experience and comfort zone*..

Famous last words! If the Headless One succumbed to the allure, no one is safe.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."

devinganger

Thu Mar 30, 2017 5:06 am Post

gr wrote:
devinganger wrote: *as someone who currently feels no urge to participate in NiaD because it's too far outside of my experience and comfort zone*..

Famous last words! If the Headless One succumbed to the allure, no one is safe.

My expectations for collaboration are built on a foundation of undiagnosed-until-adult-Aspergers combined with years in the technical industry where continuity of voice and content is key.

Quite simply, I don't play well with others, and I have no wish to inflict myself upon a group of people having fun. :)
--
Devin L. Ganger