NiaD 6 is being postponed [from Oct 2016]

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Sep 23, 2016 8:10 am Post

Hi all,

I'm very sorry to announce that we're not going to be running a Novel-in-a-Day event this October. Real life has sadly done what real life occasionally does, and put more things on my plate than I'm able to do and still organise a NiaD of the standard you deserve.

If there is sufficient interest, we'll look to re-instigate the event in the New Year -- possibly with a January event. In the meantime, you can keep up to speed with NiaD news and developments by subscribing to notifications from this sub-forum, and if you're on social media by following twitter.com/novelinaday or instagram.com/novelinaday.

Thanks to those who've been patiently waiting for this year's event. I'm really glad you've enjoyed taking part in previous years, and hope we get to write a book together again soon.

Big hugs,
Rog
aka pigfender
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

Br
Briar Kit
Platform: Mac

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:15 am Post

pigfender wrote:Hi all,

I'm very sorry to announce that we're not going to be running a Novel-in-a-Day event this October. Real life has sadly done what real life occasionally does, and put more things on my plate than I'm able to do and still organise a NiaD of the standard you deserve.

If there is sufficient interest, we'll look to re-instigate the event in the New Year -- possibly with a January event. In the meantime, you can keep up to speed with NiaD news and developments by subscribing to notifications from this sub-forum, and if you're on social media by following twitter.com/novelinaday or instagram.com/novelinaday.

Thanks to those who've been patiently waiting for this year's event. I'm really glad you've enjoyed taking part in previous years, and hope we get to write a book together again soon.

Big hugs,
Rog
aka pigfender

Hope all the things on your plate fall into the nice category.

Best

Account closed January 2017

Jaysen
Platform: Mac + Windows

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:28 am Post

You've saved the world from another installment of "headless writing". You're their hero.

And I know what you mean. I'm looking at the "work life balance" for October and asking "how long would a viable clone take?" Hope it all all good things driving it on your side.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k
Location: Protesting in the nude, outside ex Red Lion TESCO Store

Fri Sep 23, 2016 10:34 am Post

pigfender wrote: Real life has sadly done what real life occasionally does, and put more things on my plate than I'm able to do and still organise a NiaD of the standard you deserve.
Serves you right for being greedy and having such big plates!! :shock:
Good luck Rog
Take care
Vic
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:06 pm Post

Thanks, y'all. Yup all is well. It's just work stuff that's gone crayzee. Good news, though: you'll have a distraction free run at your nanowrimo prep! One sub-forum up!

Hugs,
pf
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

gr
Platform: Mac + iOS

Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:37 pm Post

You know, if you are cramped for time, we could just make it a Novel-in-an-Hour. :D
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."

vic-k

Fri Sep 23, 2016 2:17 pm Post

gr wrote:e, we could just make it a Novel-in-an-Hour.

or worrabout 'A Novel Now' or ANN
As a professional, you, are your one and only asset. Without integrity you are worthless, but with it, you are priceless.

Jaysen

Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:57 pm Post

vic-k wrote:
gr wrote:e, we could just make it a Novel-in-an-Hour.

or worrabout 'A Novel Now' or ANN

*SNORT*

Vic-K want to do ANN.

Wait till his wife hears about this!
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

vic-k

Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:01 pm Post

:(
Jaysen wrote:SNORT* Vic-K want to do ANN. Wait till his wife hears about this!

Here's me thinking about us knocking out a short story. and looking to: Chekhov; Poe; Kafka; Woolf; Hemingway; Wilde; Eliot; Twain; Tolstoy; Faulkner; Melville; Christie; Atwood and Joyce, etc., etc., for inspiration, and there's you lowering the standard to your usual sewer level. The kind of filth that gets yosimiti up on his high horse! :shock: tch!tch!

devinganger

Sat Sep 24, 2016 7:18 am Post

vic-k wrote::(
Jaysen wrote:SNORT* Vic-K want to do ANN. Wait till his wife hears about this!

Here's me thinking about us knocking out a short story. and looking to: Chekhov; Poe; Kafka; Woolf; Hemingway; Wilde; Eliot; Twain; Tolstoy; Faulkner; Melville; Christie; Atwood and Joyce, etc., etc., for inspiration, and there's you lowering the standard to your usual sewer level. The kind of filth that gets yosimiti up on his high horse! :shock: tch!tch!

Admit it, sir; you're just jealous that you didn't get there first.
--
Devin L. Ganger
Devin on Earth: http://www.devinonearth.com/
Plotter on the streets, pantser in the sheets

ConradG

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:03 am Post

I completely understand the need for postponing; I've peeked at previous years and running this event, informal as it is, must take an enormous amount of work. At the same time, I was really looking forward to joining in this year at long last, having lurked for about 2 years, and I wonder if there might be an alternative for this year.... for example:

Is there a "veteran" of this event who might feel ready to give it a whirl?

Or could the overall duties be split up among several people to lighten the load — one person might come up with the plot, characters, and chapter divisions; a second person might screen applications to enter and be in charge of assigning chapters and mailing stuff out to people; and a third person might be responsible for receiving the completed chapters, stitching them together, printing them, and setting them all on fire in a huge bonfire on which pigfender is burned in effigy for instigating an event leading to the production of such bad art. Or some variation on the above....

Or can anyone think of a workable low-maintainance complete alternative. For instance, I thought of picking a story from an antique comicbook from http://www.aibq.com/catalog_1.php and splitting it up by a number of panels or pages to produce a novelization.

It'd be a shame for a year to go by without a NiaD being produced. The gap in the icon row of all these folks' sigs would just be so unsightly!
_
C
G

vic-k

Sat Sep 24, 2016 10:52 am Post

devinganger wrote:Admit it, sir; you're just jealous that you didn't get there first.
Young devin,
not true! The simple fact of the matter is, that unlike numpty, there are certain depths of depravity to which I am incapable of sinking.
vicsaintlyk

gr

Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:04 pm Post

ConradG wrote:I was really looking forward to joining in this year at long last, having lurked for about 2 years, and I wonder if there might be an alternative for this year.... for example:

Is there a "veteran" of this event who might feel ready to give it a whirl?

Or could the overall duties be split up ....

It'd be a shame for a year to go by without a NiaD being produced. The gap in the icon row of all these folks' sigs would just be so unsightly!

I really think we just need to give the fellow some space.
gr : Scrivener user : not affiliated with Lit^Lat

"Perhaps the true book is the one on the far side of the prism."

vic-k

Sat Sep 24, 2016 3:16 pm Post

gr wrote:I really think we just need to give the fellow some space.

I'm inclined to agree, wholeheartedly Also, invoking the fallow field system....
https://www.britannica.com/technology/a ... #ref558325
Britannica wrote
Fallow system and tillage techniques
Dryland farming is made possible mainly by the fallow system of farming, a practice dating from ancient times. Basically, the term fallow refers to land that is plowed and tilled but left unseeded during a growing season. The practice of alternating wheat and fallow assumes that by clean cultivation the moisture received during the fallow period is stored for use during the crop season. Available soil nitrogen increases and weeds are controlled during the fallow period. One risk lies in the exposure of soil while fallow, leaving it susceptible to wind and water erosion. Modern power machinery has tended to reduce this risk.
....may enhance the already fertile imaginations of Scriv's crew members.

ConradG

Sat Sep 24, 2016 9:10 pm Post

Rightio. I hear that. Happy holidays, everyone!