Novel-in-a-Day 4.0: Live Free or NiaD

r6
r6d2
Platform: Mac + Windows

Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:48 pm Post

Greetings to you all! I uploaded both e-books and I'm reading them side by side without reading the briefs previously. I'm around chapter 5 so far.

It has turned out very interesting to watch how different authors approach the same situation, and get an insight about what those briefs really said.
r6d2

Beware of realism when writing. Avoid the usual zoo inhabitants. Summon the unicorns and the tritons, and give them reality!
--Julio Cortázar

Montree_Whiles
Platform: Windows

Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:29 pm Post

Pigfender. For 2015, NIAD needs a Wiki entry. And yes, include the bit about your love of strong coffee.

Is there a conversion tool for Scrivener? I'd love to convert the project file into something I can open.
“Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.”
—Robert A. Heinlein

Jaysen

Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:30 pm Post

pigfender wrote:As for Jaysen's suggestion that I write a book... N'ah, I have no clue where those guys get all their ideas from.

Thanks all,
Pigmund :D

Funny that. Especially considering that we all just wrote a book based on your ideas.

Think about it.
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:14 pm Post

Sadly I like my tea and coffee to be of distinctly average strength, all though I do drink an AWFUL lot of it.

I have no idea *why* the scrivener file wouldn't open on Windows, but for some reason it wouldn't. I've uploaded a new version (this one I have checked on a Windows machine), so you should be good to go!
"Some dice only have sixes." nom, 19 Oct 2013
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

http://www.pigfender.com | http://www.novelinaday.com

VD
VDGriesdoorn
Platform: Mac

Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:23 pm Post

Montree_Whiles wrote:Pigfender. For 2015, NIAD needs a Wiki entry. And yes, include the bit about your love of strong coffee.

Yes, NIAD needs a Wiki entry next year. :) Or do you think it's not notable enough? Surely once it reaches its fifth annual with multiple editions at the fourth it is? :roll:

pigfender

Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:39 pm Post

I'm afraid we wouldn't meet the notability requirements
the topic of an article must have already been the subject of publication in reliable sources, such as books published by major publishing houses, newspapers, magazines, peer-reviewed scholarly journals and websites that meet the same requirements as reputable print-based sources
"Piggy, I'm beginning to wonder if you are the best person to take advice from." Jaysen, 26 Sept 2014

Montree_Whiles

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:21 pm Post

Mr. Pigfender. Got that line about strong tea from my brief. You know the part about, '... if after I die my entry on Wikipedia includes the line his love of strong tea was legendary I will consider my life well lived." But then that won't be the only thing I misread in my brief.

Yep, should be tea and not coffee.
“Writing is not necessarily something to be ashamed of, but do it in private and wash your hands afterwards.”
—Robert A. Heinlein

pigfender

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:25 pm Post

Don't get me wrong, my love of tea is legendary... probably 15+ cups a day.

Montree_Whiles

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:32 pm Post

pigfender wrote:Don't get me wrong, my love of tea is legendary... probably 15+ cups a day.

You're a good man Mr. Pigfender. Caffeinated, but a good man.
—Robert A. Heinlein

Jaysen

Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:46 pm Post

Montree_Whiles wrote:
pigfender wrote:Don't get me wrong, my love of tea is legendary... probably 15+ cups a day.

You're a good man Mr. Pigfender. Caffeinated, but a good man.

don't give help him inflate the ego...
Jaysen

I have a wife and 2 kids that I can only attribute to a wiggle, a giggle, and the realization that she was out of my league so I might as well be happy with her as a friend. 24 years marriage later, I can't imagine life without her. -Me 10/7/09

th
theonlygolux

Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:07 pm Post

Brilliant fun, awesome day. Would buy from again A+++

Thanks to Pigfender for a fantastic new writing experience. I am looking forward to reading both the books and examining the scriv file for insights.

Stay well, have fun and keep your goggles on.

Foxtrot

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:04 pm Post

This may have been a better find yesterday...

http://www.grammarly.com/blog/wp-conten ... 70x350.png

RaineyCloud9

Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:47 pm Post

Wonderful time! Really did enjoy the process & loved seeing the insides of how scrivener can be so productive for a writer.

Lots of things this newb learned from this experience:

Even though I tried to be vague & not assign too many past feelings & thoughts, I need to be even more careful/open to assigning motives to characters since obviously I don't know how it ends. :D

As others have said, I need to prepare to have more of my hours completely devoted to this project. No distractions. It's only one day.
So that...
I can write, edit, rewrite, leave it alone, get another's opinion, rewrite, edit & submit. And maybe get to edit again.

At any rate, this project showed how when the skeleton is in place, the actual writing part can be confined to a day for a chapter. I know, some were much longer than others, but seeing this in action made novel writing attainable-at least in my estimation.

Loved every minute. Thanks for letting me join in!

Allicrombie

Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:46 pm Post

did I miss it?? I never got any notices, lol. O.O

Montree_Whiles

Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:41 pm Post

Allicrombie wrote:did I miss it?? I never got any notices, lol. O.O

Too, funny. Love your sense of humor. You are joking, right?
—Robert A. Heinlein