Novel-in-a-Day 2: The Revenge

Montree_Whiles
Platform: Windows

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:33 pm Post

sent mine in. abt 30 or so words short of the requirement. had fun this year pigfender, as i did last year. not so much traffic on the forum though as last year. should i expect the confirmation of receipt?

BethCutter, in scrivener it's under format>text>spacing. i use 8pt. on the after option. i've found this feature to be a life saver when formatting for electronic applications.

[quote="BethCutter"] Sorry, off topic, but I wasted at least an hour trying to find how to make Scrivener put a blank line between paragraphs instead of using an indent. I swear I looked at every menu item without luck, and search the manual too.

Can it really be we have no control over paragraph formatting?[/quote]

xiamenese
Platform: Mac

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:34 pm Post

[quote="nom"]Mine's in, word count was about 2400.

Not what I expected to write, or the style I initially planned, but it seemed right for the scene. Of course, with deadlines like this, anything could seem right so I'm relieved to read that others are nervous too.
…[/quote]
Style? You can write in styles? I wouldn't know how to do that ... I can't act either, maybe they're related!

<blush>

X

pigfender
Platform: Mac, Win + iOS

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:46 pm Post

indent.
use # marks if you need a blank line / scene break.

Montree_Whiles

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:50 pm Post

oops! i used the hashmark for the scen break instead of the solidus. i'll fix and resend. sorry.

[quote="pigfender"]indent.
use # marks if you need a blank line / scene break.[/quote]

VD
VDGriesdoorn

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:54 pm Post

[quote="xiamenese"]Style? You can write in styles? I wouldn't know how to do that ... I can't act either, maybe they're related!

<blush>

X[/quote]

Long compound sentences, normal sentences, extra short sentences. Purple prose, descriptive prose, sparse concise prose, bare prose. Choosing these styles on purpose gives a very different result and can add voice, especially if you match the style to the character of a MC in a close 1st pov.

I chose sparsity in short to normal sentence length for this piece, that's why it clocked in at 1,100 words. :)

V.

Montree_Whiles

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:57 pm Post

writing tight is definitely not an easy skill to master. this from a consummate blatherer.

robertdguthrie

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:58 pm Post

Almost done. One detail I'm in want of, and my brain is too scattered right now to read the wikipedia page right, is the (average) distance from the L1 lagrange point between Earth and it's Moon. Is anyone fairly sure of that number? The only one I can find skimming http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lagrangian_point is about 60,000 km.

de
deekayoh

Sat Oct 20, 2012 8:58 pm Post

Popping in to say I'm typing as fast as I can and I will turning in my chapter very soon. Damn, my allergies!

dawn

Be
BethCutter

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:02 pm Post

[quote="Montree_Whiles"]
BethCutter, in scrivener it's under format>text>spacing. i use 8pt. on the after option. i've found this feature to be a life saver when formatting for electronic applications.
[/quote]

Um. I must be doing it wrong. I found that command, thank you, but it only seems to affect the paragraph the focus is in at the moment. I would like to make the change as part of my default settings. Under Tools/Options/Editor I can get rid of the indent by dragging that caret all the way to the left, but I see no way to add the extra space after the paragraph.

Sorry for being so dense.

Ro
Rollerdiva

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:03 pm Post

Done! Thank you Pigfender you one man marvel you!

Montree_Whiles

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:06 pm Post

NAP TIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIME! then to the other writing i need to get done.

BethCutter, you have to highlight all text to be included. usually this is set before you begin any text entry. hope this helps.

[quote="BethCutter"][quote="Montree_Whiles"]
[/quote]

Um. I must be doing it wrong. I found that command, thank you, but it only seems to affect the paragraph the focus is in at the moment. I would like to make the change as part of my default settings. Under Tools/Options/Editor I can get rid of the indent by dragging that caret all the way to the left, but I see no way to add the extra space after the paragraph.

Sorry for being so dense.[/quote]

Ro
Rollerdiva

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:12 pm Post

It occurs to me that mine may be a bit light in Sci-fi department - sorry fact fans - hope I don't let the side down - been great having a go at something I wouldn't normally try though!

RD

robertdguthrie

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:20 pm Post

[quote="BethCutter"]
[/quote]
It's kind of hidden in the settings. There's the drop-down for line spacing. You have to select that and then choose "Other". Then you'll have the option to set paragraph spacing separately from line spacing.

Montree_Whiles

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:30 pm Post

BethCutter - it occurred to me you may be talking about double spacing vs single or 1.5 spacing between lines. if that's correct, then using the same menu flow as before, make the change in the third box down. i had thought for some reason you were talking about spacing between paragraphs as i was in my original post. ttfn.

Be
BethCutter

Sat Oct 20, 2012 9:48 pm Post

Montree, no, you had it right, I wanted a blank line between paragraphs.

And between your help and Robert, I now have them! Yippee!

But what a sneaky way to hide that control.